Dear Sunrise Drive Families,
In the Art Studio, students in Kindergarten through fifth grade studied the work of Henri Matisse. In third grade the students created portraits of an important person in their lives. The students developed Creativity and Innovation skills as they drew and painted the portraits. The students respond to or critique art, which demonstrates an understanding of how the arts convey meaning. Students were asked to consider the following questions: What does this piece of artwork mean to you? How does it inspire you? What do you like in your artwork?
- · Ashlyn shared, “I loved how the things in the artwork inspired me to do my best.”
- · Luna said, “I used creativity by using ideas from a movie.”
- · Danis named his portrait “Soccerman,” and he wrote, “I like the the soccer balls and the Arizona flag on top of my paper. He listed the materials, “Paint, pencil, paper, color and my hands. I know draw a soccer ball because I have on and I practice to draw something.”
- · Matthew titled his portrait, “Bong-bong! I like how it sounds and how the painting looks. I like the mixed green with blue and my shirt. I like my eyes, my hair. I like the background colors.”
- · Alec explained, “I named mine, The Old Countries. Each one of the colors in the background has a color of each of the old country’s flags. I used stars for the U. S. It means my dad, the countries and the sky plus clouds. It is a picture of my dad. He has traveled to lots of countries. He is in the military. I used the the sky and clouds because he flies A10s.”
We appreciate Ms. Huggins’ efforts to develop students’ capacity to apply creative and critical thinking skills in the Art Studio.
I received updated information about registration for students who live in the Sunrise Drive neighborhood school boundaries. I wanted to inform that the opening of Online Registration for residents for the 2017-2018 school year has been changed from December 5, 2016 to January 12, 2017. You may access the Online Registration link under the Parent tab at http://www.cfsd16.org/.
The Open Enrollment process is a multi-step process. The first step is to apply for open enrollment by completing the online application accessed under the Parent tab at http://www.cfsd16.org/. The open enrollment applications began on November 1, 2016 and continues through January 31, 2017. After a student has been approved for open enrollment, the family may then proceed to register for the 2017-2018 school year. The Sunrise Drive Office staff will process open enrollment registration once the district office communicates the student has been accepted for the 2017-2018 school year.
On Thursday, December 1 class pictures and individual retakes will take place in the morning. We thank our FFO volunteers in advance for organizing the day for us.